Overcoming Common Pitfalls of Interprofessional Team Development: Communication Strategies that Really Work
Interpersonal communication is foundational to human interaction and thus team efficiency. When combined with the uniqueness of the interprofessional care and educational environment, this principle becomes critical. Highly successful communicators utilize key techniques and strategies based on predictable differences between individuals to bridge gaps more efficiently. Participants will leave this session with strategies and techniques that can immediately be implemented to better navigate power, cultural, personality and other differences within their teams. They will be able to understand differences, identify individual triggers and identify how to avoid core fears of others, to maximize the effectiveness of each interaction.
- Participants will be able to identify common pitfalls of communication unique to personality difference, individual triggers and other factors
- Participants will identify and implement at least two strategies to implement to minimize power struggles and points of conflict
- Participants will demonstrate an understanding of strength-based communication techniques
- Participants will participate in guided instructional lecture followed by case study/role play activities
- Participants will utilize think, pair, share strategies to attempt to mitigate conflict