Practical Tips to Develop a Successful Interprofessional Community Outreach Initiative
Practical Tips to Develop a Successful Interprofessional Community Outreach Initiative is a workshop explaining the evolution of community outreach initiatives at one university based on student, community, and faculty feedback and will allow attendees to practice their skills relating to assessment and debriefing.
Interprofessional education is an essential part of the training for health professional students. Providing services in the community as part of an interprofessional team provides a mutual benefit to the students and the community and can have a significant impact on patient care. It is imperative to have a resilient, dedicated team of faculty facilitators to lead interprofessional outreach activities.
This workshop will discuss how one university team developed and implemented interprofessional outreach events over the past five years and the evolution of these projects based on student, community, and faculty feedback and continuous quality improvement strategies. Active learning strategies will then be utilized to reinforce concepts discussed during the presentation.
- Describe the interprofessional community outreach initiatives at one institution and the impact on clinical practice activities
- Explain the importance of evolving a program through continuous quality improvement
- Discuss a comprehensive evaluation process for interprofessional outreach initiatives
- Utilize appropriate debriefing techniques following interprofessional education activities
Skill development activities:
- Utilize debriefing models to develop and conduct a simulated debriefing encounter
- Outline assessment strategies for faculty, students, and community partners/ participants using case examples